Sunday 26 February 2012

Crayon Art

I have discovered Pinterest. I never really got it before but now I do and I have no idea how it took me so long! I now have a list as long as my arm of craft projects to undertake so this weekend was the perfect time to undetake Project #1- melted crayon art!



I am no artist, and to be honest most of my arty endeavours do look like the work of a child, but it keeps me amused and I figure that one day the arty thing may well just click. This was super easy though, even for me! I was pretty cheap too thanks to a 24-pack of crayons only costing £1.24 in Wilkos and the canvas only costing £1.99 in The Works. Ah, I do love my cheap shops!

So, on with the details. I discovered too late that 24 crayons are not enough to reach from one end of the canvas to the other so had the delightfully tedious job of removing the paper from each crayon, sharpening the blunt end and cutting it in half. Glued them all on with a liberal (read accidental 'Argh it's gushing out the bottle and I can't stop it!!!!') application of PVA and left it overnight to dry. I cut out a mask of the figure holding the umbrella and gently stuck it on so it could be removed, sadly it was a little too gently stuck and some wax got behind it! I had planned on drawing the figure directly onto the canvas but because of the mess I was left with I drew it on some canvas effect paper I had and glued it on afterwards.

I used my heat gun to melt the crayons with the canvas sitting upright, carefully moving it around so no one area was getting too hot. Wax went flying in odd directions so it is a good idea to put newspaper down!


I love how the wax has formed drips, it adds to the rain affect!




I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sold on the person, think I need to go over it again with more crayon or maybe something more substantial like oil pastels (I'll have to buy some first) so this is still kind of unfinished, but I really like it in theory so wanted to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment