Wednesday 20 April 2011

Anyone for a desktop tea-party?

Following on from my pretty calendar to brighten up my desk I was truly bitten by the making-stuff bug last week and made 3 more desk brighten-upperers!


(See what I mean about the grey in the background?!)

The first is a cupcake pen-holder. It was really easy to make, I made a simple box without a lid from chipboard card and covered it in pretty paper (downloaded for free from Papercraft Inspirations) and lined it with white card, both for extra strength and to give it a nice finish.

To make the cupcake I used my build-a-bun stencil from Craftwork Cards (I didn't actually pay £3.50 for this! It came in a goody bag with lots of other lovely bits!), both parts were cut out of chipboard card for sturdiness. The bottom was covered in more PI paper and pink ribbon on the front and the same paper lined the back so the exposed part that can be seen from behind looks as good as the front.



I used the stencil as a rough guide for the top of the cupcake but made it look a little more swirly. I covered the front in white card and used crayon for the detail and pink chalk to colour it in, using shading around the detail. A few pretty brads made the sprinkles and a button with a sparkly brad stuck on made the 'cherry on top'. To cover the 'legs' of the brads I covered the back with more PI spotty paper.

My pens sit quite happily in here and it looks a 'treat'!

To make my desktop tea party a little more complete I added a 'slice of cake' post-it holder. This was much more fiddly as it involved making a pretty tricky box, using 2 layers of chipboard card for strength, which was then covered in (more!) PI paper. The white spotty paper is the sponge, the pink check is the icing and the pale brown and pink ribbon are the filling. Some little flowers and brads make pretty cake decorations.



The final addition (so far!) is just... pretty (pointless?!) I was given some awful black plastic file holders to go on my desk and since I just couldn't stand the thought of yet more black cluttering up my desk I drew around the end of the file holder (onto more chipboard card, I love that stuff!) and quite simply used more PI papers cut into strips along with some pink ribbon to create a bit of a sunburst shape, with another of my lovely flowers in the corner to hide where all of the paper and ribbon meets. It just blu-tacks onto the file holder so I can't get told off for damaging company property!



I'm starting to like sitting at my desk much more now that it's a little more me, I wonder what I should make next?!

1 comment:

  1. Oh i love cupcakes, these makes are so cute :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete